Saturday, September 14, 2013

The Unsinkables - 1912 Titanic Evening Gown

To commemorate the sinking of the Titanic in 1912, a few of us Gaskell Ball ladies decided to wear Edwardian Era Gowns to the April 2012 Ball. Here are my efforts.
Thank you, American Duchess!
 I used the Titanic Simplicity Pattern 8389, with a few minor changes. The dress is poly shantung (wrong side, as I liked the shiny factor) and the overlay is Point d'esprit lace. It's all trimmed with strands of sequins and the sleeves are caught up with some sequin trim. (Thanks to my Mum for the idea!) I cheated and used a lapped zipper (thanks again Mum) and it worked really well.

It went together pretty easily, and was fun to wear! I will probably use the pattern again at some point.
"Yes, we DO travel first class, thank you!"
There were so many lovely gowns at the ball, and such an interest in the challenge of creating costumes for a given era, that we did it again for the April 2013 ball. This time we went with "Gibson Girls" theme. (photos to come!)
The End

No comments:

Post a Comment